On The Biker Beat

Getting the word out for cancer research through endurance sports - LLS Team In Training!

Monday, August 28, 2006

Introduction

Well, here I am on my new blog. I'm going to take a couple of minutes and explain what I will be writing about here. I am currently participating in the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society's Team In Training. This is a special fundraiser program where those involved train and participate in endurance sports to raise money for cancer research. I will be racing in the Tour de Tucson, a 109-mile bike race in, you guessed it, Tucson. The race is in November.

As the Team In Training is basically a 2-part program, my posts here will be also in 2 parts: fundraising and training. So here goes.

In order to participate, I am required to raise a minimum of $3400. This is to cover the expense of running the program - sending me to Tucson - and ensure that at least 75% of all donations go directly to cancer research. If you would like to donate, visit my website. In order for me to be able to go to Tucson, a significant portion must be raised by September 11th.


And now for the training part. Last week, I bought a new bike to train on. This one is built for road cycling and should be a lot better than the mountain bike I was using. I haven't had much chance to take it out because of work and classes. On Friday, I rode it into work - about 5 miles each way. It was a little rough, but I think it was mostly the heat - it was over 100 degrees! It'll take a little while to get used to the posture, too. A lot different from the mountain bike. Today I got about 2.5 miles in. Not nearly what I would have liked, but still better than nothing, I think. It was already getting dark by the time I had a chance to bike around, so I didn't want to stay out too long. I should be getting some lights soon. The dealer I bought it from promised they would find the lights and tool set that were originally on the bike. Well, that's it for now! More to come....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home